Earth Day takes place each year on April 22nd to raise awareness of environmental issues and remind us to take care of Mother Earth. There's a lot we can do as pet parents, to help with our furry friend's carbon paw print.
Here are a few tips from our friends from The Dogington Post to celebrate Earth Day with Your Furry Friends!
1. Cut down on waste that takes space and switch to biodegradable poop bags. The bags decompose in about the same amount of time as an apple.
2. Overpopulation, and consequently euthanization, is the #1 killer of dogs in this country. Visit your local shelter and adopt, or volunteer with a rescue group to help as many dogs in need find great forever homes.
3. Old blankets and sheets may seem like junk to you, but to the dogs at your local shelter, they are beds and comfort. Instead of trashing your old linens and towels, donate them to your local shelter.
4. Old socks with missing pairs? Make a dog toy out of it! Recycling household products and making dog toys is a great way to re-use, rather than consume. Plus, dog toys sold at pet stores can be expensive and wasteful of our planet’s resources.
5. Instead of driving to the dog park, how about rollerblading, biking or just walking instead? It’s more exercise and time for you and your dog to spend together, and it’s not using fossil fuels or spewing greenhouse gases into the air.
6. Consider a natural, holistic diet with a high vegetable content for your dog. Eating organic and local is good for the planet and good for your health.
7. Check your household cleaning products and make sure you’re using ones that are chemical-free and therefore, not contributing to harmful runoff into our ground and water sources.
Leave a comment