Delta Rolls Out High-Tech Carrier
Posted on January 31 2020
At $850 Per Flight, It’s being offered at eight US locations.
Delta is rolling out a pet travel carrier called CarePod with features such as a built-in hydration system and real-time updates throughout the journey.
CarePod will be exclusively offered at eight U.S. locations: Atlanta, Boston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York (JFK and LaGuardia), San Francisco and West Palm Beach. There will then be a phased approach to roll out the CarePod pet travel carrier across Delta’s U.S. network, according to a press release from the airline.
The introduction comes after five years of research, development, and testing, on top of a successful two-month trial, according to the release.
“Continuous innovation is in Delta’s DNA and the launch of the CarePod pet travel carrier, an industry first, is an example of us seeking out innovative partnerships and looking at ways to improve the customer experience throughout all parts of their journey,” said Shawn Cole, vice president — Delta Cargo. “As the only airline to offer this premium pet travel solution, it represents a significant improvement for the millions of people who want to travel with their four-legged family members.”
CNN reports that the CarePod “is roughly under two feet high and large enough for a dog up to 50 lbs.” and that the cost to book one is $850.
Delta explains that CarePod’s features include:
- Stronger, industrial-strength walls that are insulated to protect your pet against potential temperature fluctuations when moving between different climates and travel conditions.
- Multi-layered windows and doors with specially angled blinds to help create a calming environment for pets by blocking out visual stress from unfamiliar environments.
- The world’s first built-in hydration system for pet travel carriers, holding up to a liter of water that will auto replenish the spill-proof water bowl to ensure pets always have easy access to fresh water.
- A powerful, enterprise-level GPS tracking and monitoring system that connects your pet’s journey directly to the specialized Delta Cargo Control Center. The Center is managed 24/7/365 by trained experts who supervise and digitally monitor every CarePod pet journey from beginning to end, with the expertise and authority to send out the right staff on the ground to check on the pet if needed.
- Seamless connectivity that enables you to use your mobile phone to view your pet’s key travel updates throughout their entire journey via deltacargo.com
- CarePod pet travel carriers are made to the highest quality and standard, with human-grade materials that are non-toxic, UV and antibacterial treated for longer lasting strength and protection.
The CarePod can accommodate dogs and cats permitted in a 300 series crate or smaller and can be booked between three and 13 days prior to departure. The CarePod can be booked by visiting deltacargo.com or by calling Delta’s Cargo Customer Service Center at 1-800-352-2746.
“We’re thrilled that pet owners can now vacation and fly their pets with Delta’s best-in-class CarePod solution, having the peace of mind that their pets are protected in smart pet travel carriers, that are also digitally supervised by the Delta Cargo Control Center throughout the entire journey,” says Jenny Pan, founder, and CEO of CarePod. “With the Delta partnership, we aim to raise the benchmark for pet air travel to allow families and pets to stay connected and travel safely together.”
The airline notes:
Delta’s team of specialists and staff veterinarian constantly review processes and policies to identify areas of improvement to ensure the safety and health of pets. The airline has specially trained ground handlers who take care of pets at every step of their journey. Delta also has temperature-controlled holding areas and vehicles in numerous locations and overnight kenneling services.