Atlanta Pet Life- Fall 2016
Posted on September 24 2016
In a majority of households, those shiny presents under the Christmas tree or Hanukkah bush, are meant for the family pets. The holiday season is one we traditionally dedicate to giving, and it turns out the most Americans extend that spirit to our furry four legged family members. Christmas is, unsurprisingly, the most popular pet-giving holiday, ahead of their birthdays and Valentine's Day according to Rover.com.
I was in attendance at the American Pet Products Association (APPA), when CEO Bob Vetere announced that the overall spending in the pet industry for 2015 came in at a record $60.28 billion. “The pet humanization trend is alive and well and continues to drive growth at the premium end of the market,” said Vetere. “As millennials prepare to take the reins from the baby boomer generation as the primary demographic of pet owners, they stand to further develop this trend.” Spending on supplies such as beds, collars, leashes, toys, litter, bedding, food and water bowls, clothing and other accessories is heading towards an estimated $14.98 billion for 2016, making it the third highest spending category, behind food and narrowing the gap on veterinary care spending (APPA, 2016).
Our pets love us unconditionally, so it’s no surprise that we treat our posh pets like members of the family and give gifts. While some dogs are happy with just the wrapping paper on their presents, watching them tear open the paper is priceless! Some of the gifts we have researched range from the must-have holiday sweaters and treats in their pets stocking, to extravagances usually reserved for humans, such as car seats, luxury carriers, and Swarovski studded accessories. Gifts average $36 to well over $100.
It can be difficult to decide what to get for your favorite pets and pet lovers — even if money is no object — because all we really want to give that perfect gift. Each year, owners can choose more and more pet products and pet gifts. The good news is Bark Fifth Avenue has you covered. Whether it’s in our Buckhead boutique, on-line, or with one of our complimentary personal shoppers, we will make sure you find the ideal gift.
Here are our favorite top five new products and couture items we deem fabulous for this year!
- Furbo: World's Best Treat-Tossing Dog Camera
All-in-one dog sitter that includes a camera, treat popper, barking alerts, night vision, and more! The smartphone app controlled interactive camera lets you see, hear, talk, play & give treats to when you’re away.
- Pawllure: For the sophisticated and elegant four-legged child. These beds compliment the décor of your home, bringing luxury to the next level. Your fur babies need a spot to retreat too; a place to lay their head, somewhere soft and comfortable to call their own. These beds are elevated enough to keep a bit of distance between a cold floor and your pet. (available at Bark Fifth Avenue)
- Shabby Armoire: Great Wardrobe super chic to guard all the clothes and accessories of our little ones! Made entirely in Italy solid wood decorated with beautiful friezes that adorn. A unique piece of equipment for your perfect home to store all the fabulous things and keep them in perfect order!
- Passport: The passport cover for your classy jet setter! Keep important vet documents and other for travel, or just shopping!
- Orostani Couture: High-fashion designer outerwear created exclusively—for dogs! Orostani Couture creates a one-of-a-kind glitz & glam creations which have turned many a head—and tail. We got to sit down with designer, Olga Yuditsky, and discuss trends for this Fall/Winter 2016 and some of her favorite designs. “Leopard print, denim, shearling, schoolgirl tartan prints, hoodies, leather studded harnesses,